All speculations concerning the entry of Ryanair in Ukraine are attempts of a single national air carrier to retain its monopoly position on the market, Volodymyr Omelyan
“All speculations concerning the entry of Ryanair in Ukraine are attempts of a single national air carrier to retain its monopoly position on the market, by earning super profits on Ukrainian citizens,” Volodymyr Omelyan, the Minister of Infrastructure of Ukraine, stressed during a press-conference dedicated to the readiness of Ukraine’s infrastructure for the visa-free regime with the EU.
"The large portion of low-cost carriers in Ukraine operate flights in the Middle East direction. Low-cost carriers operating flights to the EU countries enjoy the highest demand. However, the Ukraine – EU flights are operated by no-low-cost carriers, which fares are too high for the most of Ukraine’s citizens. Therefore, the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine attracts leading European low-cost carriers in Ukraine. Ryanair has announced its flights by the following directions: from Kyiv to Eindhoven, London, Stockholm, and Manchester; from Lviv to Eindhoven, Berlin, Krakow, Wroclaw, Budapest, London, Memminhem," Volodymyr Omelyan said.
“At the same time, all speculations concerning the entry of Ryanair in Ukraine are attempts of a single national air carrier to retain its monopoly position on the market, by earning super profits on Ukrainian citizens. In addition, it is a shameless attempt to steal the Ukrainian dream of becoming a full member of the European community. The Ukrainians have a right to travel to Europe for 50 euros, not for 500 euros. Ukraine is one step away from this dream come true. The Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine has done 90% of the work to attract Ryanair in Ukraine. The remaining 10% rests on management teams of the airports," the Minister said.
According to the Minister, unlike Lviv Airport, a whole blockbuster named "Saving the Special Ryanair" has unfolded in respect of Kyiv Airport. "However, it should be noted that there will be no Gostomel, Zhytomyr and others. If Ryanair will not be operating flights to Kyiv, the management of Boryspil International Airport and Kyiv International Airport (Zhuliany) must explain why this is the case and tell people the truth. I would like to stress once again that as regards the KPIs, which I set for the new head of Boryspil International Airport, these primarily provided for a successful completion of negotiations with low-cost carriers and ensuring the operation of their flights from Terminals F or B. The Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine expects that Boryspil International Airport will open Terminal F for low-cost air carriers. Operation of low-cost air carriers in Ukraine is not merely a possibility of cheap flights to Europe, but also serves as a signal for recovery of a domestic flights market", Volodymyr Omelyan said.
Volodymyr Omelyan also added that Ryanair is the only company in Europe that has reported its profit in 2016, which is 1.5 billion euros.
"All these disputes and battles concerning the entry of Ryanair in Ukraine are somewhere inbetween the shame and the ridicule. The Ukrainian market for Ryanair is mere 0.2%, while to us, this seemingly is a battle of the century, where Ryanair does not interfere, but is just amused by what is happening," the Minister of Infrastructure of Ukraine said.