Announcement of the Selection of Candidates for CEO of Joint Stock Company “Ukrainian Railways”
In accordance with decisions of the Supervisory Board of JSC “Ukrainian Railways” (hereinafter JSC “Ukrzaliznytsia”), the open selection of candidates for the position of the CEO of JSC “Ukrzaliznytsia” is announced.
Company name: Joint Stock Company “Ukrainian railways” (JSC “Ukrzaliznytsia”).
Address: 5 Jerzy Giedroyc St., Kyiv, Ukraine, 03150.
JSC “Ukrzaliznytsia” is a state-owned railway company of Ukraine, which is the monopolist that controls most of the rail transport in the country. The total length of the track is over 19 000 km and is ranked the 14th longest track in the world. Ukrainian railways is ranked 6th among rail passenger carriers in the world and is the 7th largest freight carrier in the world.
JSC “Ukrzaliznytsia” is a national passenger and freight carrier. The company’s goal is to meet the needs for safe and high-quality rail transportation, to ensure the efficient functioning and development of railway transport, to provide conditions for improved competitiveness of the industry, etc.
Currently, the company provides 82% of freight and almost 50% of all passenger transportation. In terms of freight traffic, JSC “Ukrzaliznytsia” is ranked fourth on the Eurasian continent with only China, Russia and India being ahead.
Key position objectives:
- Ensure delivery of UZ’s mission to provide effective, efficient and timely rail transport and logistics services for the Ukrainian economy and people.
- Transform the Company into a best example of efficient business organization and an example to follow by its level of transparency, openness and quality of management standards.
- Prepare UZ for competing in a liberalized market for rail transportation services.
The candidate should meet the following requirements:
- Must have minimum 3 years of experience in managing large companies, working as a C-level executive (C – CEO, President, Chairman of the Board, C-1 – EVP).
- Experience in C level position of (a) a major railway company with an annual freight traffic of no less than 20 bn net ton-km (highly preferable), or (b) a major transportation company with an annual turnover of not less than 1 bn USD. For the avoidance of doubt the candidates without sectoral expertise but exceptional leadership and transformational success track record are also encouraged to apply.
- A successful experience in developing and managing complex organizational change projects (transformation of business model, organisational restructuring, start-ups in new countries, mergers / acquisitions).
- Proved skills and experience in strategy implementation.
- Successful experience of managing the portfolio of capital investment projects with an annual volume over USD 100 million.
- Successful change management experience of regulatory field and government-related influence.
- The candidate should also have profound practical knowledge of economics, experience in strategic and investment planning, budgeting in large enterprises.
- Experience in implementing best practice (e.g. OECD principles based) corporate governance systems and recommendations for large enterprises.
- A candidate should have high-level negotiation skills, including at governmental, international, and business levels.
- The Candidate should be proficient in Ukrainian and/or Russian (any candidate, if not proficient in Ukrainian, should be seen to be able, and committed to become proficient in Ukrainian within 6 months), business fluent command of English is essential.
- Gender diversity will be supported.
- The Chairperson of the Management Board is expected to be fully committed to these key objectives and therefore cannot hold any advisory or Supervisory Board or similar positions in any other enterprise outside UZ.
- With respect to full commitment to the objectives mentioned above, the Chairperson of the Management Board cannot hold any advisory or Supervisory Board or similar positions in any other enterprise outside UZ.
Please review the detailed position profile.
Additional information for candidates:
For participation in the open selection, a candidate should forward the package of documents mentioned below in English and/or Ukrainian to Boyden Global Executive Search (LLC Boyden Ukraine) by sending at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required documents and stages of the selection:
Stage 1 – Submission of the documents by candidates to participate in the open selection sending via email email@example.com by 17:00 Kyiv time on March 16, 2020.
Stage 2 – Assessment of the submitted documents, preliminary analysis of professional experience of the candidates for the CEO of “Ukrzaliznytsia”. Invitation of the selected candidates for detailed interviews. The candidates admitted to the interviews should additionally submit the package of documents listed below.
Stage 3 – Interviews with the preliminary selected candidates. Elaboration of the list of candidates recommended for the next stage of the open selection (interviews with the members of the Supervisory Board of “Ukrzaliznytsia”).
Stage 4 – Interviews of the candidates with the members of the Supervisory Board of “Ukrzaliznytsia”.
Stage 5 – Submission of a proposal regarding the appointment of the candidate to the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine by the Supervisory Board of “Ukrzaliznytsia”. Announcement of the results of the selection of candidates for CEO of “Ukrzaliznytsia”.
The documents package to be submitted at Stage 1.
Deadline: by 17:00 Kyiv time on March 16, 2020, via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A resume (VC) specifying key accountabilities and achievements presented in any form.
- A motivation letter highlighting key experience, expertise and strengths of a candidate presented in any form.
- An application for participation in a competitive selection – The template provided.
- A consent to the processing of the personal data – The template provided.
- A declaration of conflict of interest with “Ukrzaliznytsia”- The template provided.
- Reference letters and other additional information to be provided optionally.
All the documents should be properly verified and contain the signature and the full name of a person on each page of the document. A candidate is welcome to apply any other documents that prove his/her professional competencies.
The additional documents package to be submitted at Stage 2.
Deadline: within five working days from the moments of the receipt of the information about the admission to the next stage of the open competitive selection send by the representatives of LLC Boyden Ukraine via email@example.com
- A copy of the ID document.
- A copy of employment record or documents confirming work experience (these documents should contain the information on the dates of employment, position name, accountabilities performed, number of people under subordination).
- A copy of the higher education diploma.
The candidate is personally liable for accuracy of the submitted documents and information.